Over recent years, the trend of alternative milks has risen. People are searching for new ways to enjoy the creamy, delicious ingredient due to dietary restrictions or environmental reasons. New research from Mintel reveals that non-dairy milk sales have seen steady growth over the past five years, growing an impressive 61 percent since 2012.One company dedicated to making it through these changing tides is Elmhurst 1925. A dairy company founded in 1925 by the Schwartz brothers, it was New York City’s last milk manufacturing plant until it’s closure in 2016. The company decided to re-brand as Elmhurst Milked and started to focus on plant-based milks.
They teamed up with Dr. Cheryl Mitchell and her patented cold-milling process, Hydrorelease Method. This industry-changing process propelled Elmhurst to the frontlines of alternative milks. By using water to separate the nutritional components of the nut or grain, they were able to keep the integrity of the ingredient for a nutritionally and flavorful product. “This allows [Elmhurst] to rely primarily on the intrinsic sweetness and creaminess of the oats, delivering a product with 16-20g of whole grains per serving and devoid of any unnecessary additives.” Proudly, they do not add gums or emulsifiers to hold the product together, keeping the ingredients simple and true. They even make sure their oats are gluten-free, so it just keeps getting better!
So Why Choose Oat Milk?
Oats have long been associated with breakfast and now they are ready to go beyond what you expect of them. Oat milk is nut-free, soy-free and dairy-free and has a lot of benefits according to Medical Daily:
- Packed with Nutrients: Oat milk is rich in fiber and contains vitamins like Vitamin A, B12 and D. “It also contains two grams of dietary fiber, 46 percent riboflavin, 27 percent calcium, 22 percent phosphorus, six percent potassium and two percent iron.”
- Vegan-Friendly: Free of soy, nuts, and dairy- oat milk is a spectacular option for those with limited dietary needs or intolerances.
- Lowers Blood Cholesterol: beta-glucans forms a gel-like substance inside your gut and can help lower cholesterol levels over time.
- Prevents Anemia: “Anemia is a serious illness that develops due to a lack of red blood cells. You may prevent it by consuming enough iron to sustain your body.” Oat milk can provide that iron and prevent anemia.
- Boosts Immunity: Because you are putting all that wonderful vitamin A and D through the oat milk into your body, you will be helping out your immune system to ward off illnesses and keep you feeling strong and healthy.
Ferris Coffee & Nut Co. is proud to partner with a company that shares the same value in plant-based food such as Elmhurst 1925. Both companies are over 90 years old and both companies have shifted focuses throughout the years to adapt to what customers are asking for.
You can find Elmhurst Barista Series Oat Milk in our cafes and wholesale customers will be able to purchase the Barista Series Oat, Almond, or Cashew milks. Even if your diet doesn't require such a product, switch it up next time you're getting a latte or coffee. Feel and taste the difference in quality, thanks to Elmhurst.