Update November 16, 2020
After the recent update from the MDHHS and state officials, there are now new restrictions pertaining to our business for a temporary time. Indoor dine-in services will no longer be allowed beginning Wednesday November 18th. This restriction applies to our West Side, Seward, Holland, and Downtown locations. “Indoor gatherings are the greatest source of spread, and sharply limiting them is our focus,” MDHHS Director Robert Gordon said.
Our cafés will continue take-out orders to best serve you. Customers can still come in to order and may browse our retail space to shop while they wait for their order. Masks are still required upon entry for the safety of our staff and our customers.
Head to our locations page for more information about each café, hours, and address.
Update October 29, 2020
Per guidelines and rules set forth by Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS), our cafés have begun the process of collecting customer information to support contract tracing (if needed). You can easily follow all Michigan updates here and more specifically the recent update on contract tracing tracking here. At minimum, our establishments will be asking customers for their name and phone number.
Why do I have to give my information?
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services requires all dine-in food service establishments must maintain accurate records of the names and phone numbers of patrons who purchase food or drink for consumption on the premises with the date and time of entry.
What if I don't want to give my information?
That's fine- we will be happy to make your drink to go to enjoy. Ferris is required to deny in-person dining or consumption to any visitor who does not provide, at a minimum, their name and phone number.
What if I take my order to go?
Your information is not required.
Who will be enforcing this?
Under MCL 333.2235(1), local health departments are authorized to carry out and enforce the terms of this order.
How long will this last?
This order remains in effect until rescinded.
Persons with suggestions and concerns are invited to submit their comments via email to COVID19@michigan.gov.
Update October 26, 2020
Update September 18, 2020
Through the continued efforts of the Michigan Health Department, our staff, and you, the customers, our retail spaces and cafés have been fortunate to continue serving the West Michigan community. Since our last update, we've seen tremendous support from the local community and loyal customers. The rules we implemented have helped keep you and our staff safe while still being able to serve you fresh coffee and snacks. We've been happy to open our doors to regular hours, giving us the opportunity to bring back many of our staff members.
- Masks are still required to enter our spaces. You may remove your mask once seated. If you get up to change seats, go to the bathroom, or order- please mask-up.
- Reservations are not required.
- We've continued cleaning efforts by our staff in-between customer visits. From wiping down tables, screens, door handles and more, our staff will remain diligent to combat the virus in our spaces.
- Our socially distanced seating will remain in effect. This has allowed everyone to feel comfortable in our spaces. We're thankful to the City of Grand Rapids for extending our Downtown Café's outdoor seating to be included on Pearl St. Not only is the outdoor patio space beautiful, it's allowed us to soak in all the sunny days we have left before winter! West Side, Holland, and Downtown all have available outdoor seating.
We cannot stress enough how thankful we are to the many people who support Ferris Coffee & Nut Co. From our own employees who continue to work remotely or in-house to the customers we serve in the state of Michigan and beyond- Thank You. We've been working hard to supply our products at a demanding rate to stock shelves and keep food on the table for you.
Update June 11, 2020
One step closer to normalcy, we are opening our cafés for sit-in service. Beginning June 15th, customers will be invited to enjoy their drinks and snacks while lounging in our shops again. While West Side and Holland have been operating for take-out for a couple weeks now, we are so excited to be serving you and hanging out again.
Notes about shops opening:
- Masks are still required upon entering
- Masks may be removed when sitting at your area
- Limited, space-out seating
- Limited hours will continue
Find a café near you on our locations page here.
Update May 29, 2020
We've been so appreciative of all the patience our customers have given us during this time. As things have developed over time, it has been a learning curve for so many on how to adjust to the pandemic. But we are finally onto some good news!
We are happy to announce that we are beginning the process of opening our cafés. While everything is not back to complete normally, we hope that these steps will get us there! Here's the deets:
- West Side and Holland cafés will open TUESDAY JUNE 2nd
- Limited Hours: Tuesday - Friday 7:30am - 1:00pm, Saturday 8:00am - 2:00pm
- Closed Sundays & Mondays
- Orders are for pick up and to go only
- Limited menu. In addition to drinks, we will carry Sweetbatches and have an assortment of whole bean and retail items.
For the safety of our employees, we are requiring customers to wear a mask when they are in our store - we will have disposables available for anyone who does not have one.
Online ordering is available and payment is accepted ahead of time for this for a contactless transactions: https://ferris-coffee-nut-co.square.site/
UPDATE APRIL 10, 2020
Beginning Monday April 13th, we are implementing new safety protocols for our facility. It seems like new updates, laws, and recommendations come out every day and it can be difficult just to keep up. That said, the team is constantly researching, discussing, and adapting to new safety guidelines as they are released by the CDC to ensure the health, safety, and well-being of our employees. In light of recent guidelines, we are providing the following for employees:
- Face Masks: Ferris will provide all on-site employees with re-suable face masks and also have disposable ones available. Employees can also bring their own approved face masks to wear.
- Plastic Face Shields: For an added level of personal comfort and safety, we will also provide shields to employees.
- Pre-Scans: Upon entering the building at any time, all employees will have their temperature scanned prior to being allowed to continue inside the building. Employees will also be asked to verify that they are not exhibiting symptoms via a brief checklist at the entrance.
While this is definitely a challenge, it is also part of the responsibility that we have as workers in the food industry, and our work is necessary to continue to serve our customers and our communities. We hope the safety measures detailed above will provide additional peace of mind while you shop with us and we want to take the time to also thank you all for your support.
UPDATE APRIL 6, 2020
- Shop online with us! Our e-commerce store remains open with FREE shipping. We roast your coffee to order and have plenty of long-lasting snacks in varying sizes available for purchase. Send a gift to a loved one your thinking about or get yourself some good coffee for home brewing.
- We are here to help! We will continue to assist you in orders and other customer service needs. Easily email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to email@example.com for order updates. Drop us a line at 616-459-6257 or reach our retail staff at 616-459-6257.
We thank you for your patience and understanding during this extraordinary time. Please continue to follow federal, state, and local guidelines for remaining safe and healthy.
UPDATE MARCH 23, 2020
UPDATE MARCH 16, 2020
MARCH 12, 2020
With the ongoing news and developments concerning coronavirus (COVID-19), we at Ferris Coffee & Nut Co. are taking our role and responsibilities seriously.
As a café and store, we are a communal place of refuge, a place to gather and enjoy sips of coffee. In an effort to take precautionary steps, we are following the CDC and local health authorities guidelines in order to protect you and our staff and to reduce the risk of exposure at our locations. These measures include:
- A temporary hold on serving drinks in customers' own reusable drink ware. Brew Crew will still receive their discounts.
- Removing condiment areas from cafés. Baristas can add milk, creamers, and sugars for customers. Disposable packets will be available for customers as well.
- Assisting customers at our Seward shop with our Bulk Section.
- Heightened cleaning and sanitation protocols.
- Case-by-case cancellation of Ferris events and tastings
We are closely monitoring this situation and taking proactive steps to ensure the health and safety of our community and understand you are placing trust in us to keep you safe. Cafés will remain open for normal hours and our online shop is always open for you to stock up on all your needs.